Friday 26 August 2011

Hot HR Hot Spot - HR Careers by Michael Rabone

Michael Rabone, HR Manager for The Seafood Restaurant group owned by Rick and Jill Stein in Padstow, Cornwall considers the wider appeal of HR as a career option and looks at the various routes into HR-related roles.

I recently completed an e-survey relating to HR careers and it got me thinking – how did I end up here? I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not alone in the fact that I didn’t have a grand plan to break into the world of human resources, mainly because I had no idea what the HR role or function was about!

As a result, I’m intrigued to establish how other HOT HR members have found their way into a HR career and their general perspective on HR as a career in general.

Having to make such an important career choice whilst studying for A-levels proved surprisingly difficult and it soon dawned on me that I’d made the wrong decision signing up for an IT degree. After providing a vague explanation outlining that I’d like to do something that involved business and people management, I recognise that I owe a great deal to the University lecturer that gave me a gentle nudge in the right direction; something that I have since established is a vital part of the role of an effective leader.

I feel that the profile of HR as a career option is growing and that it is important for us as professionals to demonstrate that we are business-savvy and able to add value to the organisation. I appreciate that the impact of the HR team can be limited in some situations, be it through resources, knowledge or the general perception of the HR function as a whole; however, we all have the potential to make a difference and to find ways to influence business improvements through effective people management.

I also like the fact that there are so many different routes into HR careers; looking around the office we have a personnel management graduate, a marketing graduate, an individual with 26 years of payroll and personnel experience and a recently appointed HR trainee with a masters degree and so much drive to succeed in the industry that he turned up at a hospitality careers event, shook my hand and said, ‘my name is Benjamin and I want a career in HR!’ Needless to say, this young man has a bright future ahead of him and was fortunate enough to be given the chance to meet with Chris Grayling to discuss youth unemployment and work placement programmes, having been part of a work placement programme himself.

A career in HR has proven rewarding, fascinating and varied; I have quickly learnt that people have an outstanding ability to surprise you, in every sense. The most important aspect is the satisfaction that comes with doing the right thing, looking after individual interests and supporting the development of those that show potential to do more in the future. I also like the fact that a role in HR demands an important range of personal qualities such as integrity, honesty and credibility and the need to role model such behaviours is vital if the influencing aspect of the role is to be achieved.

I appreciate that there are also many barriers to overcome, especially amongst organisations that have had limited exposure to the benefits of an effective HR function, whether cultural or due to business growth. With varied demands such as legislative change, compliance and the fact that the employment relationship can be enhanced or diminished so easily, it is great to know that there is so much potential to play a part in the overall success of a business. 

There is also the consideration of CIPD accreditation and the significance that some employers put on this particular requirement; as a CIPD member I am aware of the benefits of professional development and accreditation; I also recognise that there is a great possibility the right person for a role could be easily overlooked if a specific request for CIPD accredited applicants is made at the recruitment stage.

Taking all of the above into account, I’d be delighted to hear how HOT HR members have developed their HR career, how much significance CIPD accreditation has and the perception of HR for those starting out and thinking about people management as a possible career. Feel free to post your comments after this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment